Lake Baikal – Yakutsk – Magadan Tour
IRKUTSK – YAKUTSK – MAGADAN ROAD TRIP.
Lake Baikal – Lena Pillars on the Lena River – Okhotsk Sea.
Authentic Siberia & the Far East in Russia!
So, here we go. We gather a group of travellers, who have a strong desire to embark a fascinating road trip with us from Lake Baikal to Magadan via Yakutsk. A big journey in Russia’s Siberia!
Lake Baikal in Irkutsk Oblast:
Photo credits: Artem Petukhov & Ekaterina Ipatieva, Yakutsk-based Adventurers.
Lena Pillars on the Lena River in Yakutia:
Photo credit: Ajar Varlamov/Lena Pillars at YakutiaPhoto.com.
The Sea of Okhotsk in Magadan Oblast:
Photo credit: Ilya Kovyakin/LiveJournal.
Irkutsk – Yakutsk – Magadan Trip Route on Map
The above map doesn’t provide the exact distance of the factual trip.
Group size: 4 PAX. For a small or big group, feel free to order the customized tour.
Dates: flexible. Depends on travellers’ schedule.
At request, the tour might be done on any dates in June – August, September (Golden Autumn) – the early October (the first snowfalls on the Kolyma road), December – February (Cold Siberian Winter), and March (Ice on Lake Baikal) – the early April.
Distance to drive: ~ 6000 km one way through Russia’s Siberia & Far East.
Route: Irkutsk – Olkhon Island (2 days) – Irkutsk (1 full day) – Ulan Ude (1 full day) – Ivolginsky Datsan – Chita – Erofei Pavlovich – Tynda – Nerungri – Yakutsk (1 full day) – Lena Pillars Nature Park (3 days for the Lena River cruise) – Yakutsk – Khandyga – Ust Nera – Susuman – Magadan (1 full day + 1 extra day for any delays or the boat excursion in the Sea of Okhotsk).
Highlights. What to see?
– Irkutsk City Tour.
– 2-Day Overland Excursions across Olkhon Island on Lake Baikal to see all famous places.
– Ulan Ude City Tour.
– Ivolginsky Datsan in Buryatia.
– Amur–Yakutsk Mainline.
– Tynda Railway Station, the heart of the Baikal–Amur Mainline (BAM).
– Vasilievka, remains of a GULAG camp.
– Yakutsk & Lena Pillars Nature Park on the Lena River.
– Kolyma Road & Verkhoyansky Mountains.
– Kolyma River.
– Remains of Stalin’s GULAG administration buildings.
– Magadan City Tour + GULAG Cafe.
– The Sea of Okhotsk.
Summer-Autumn Itinerary (Recommended)
Day 1 / Sun – Arrival in Irkutsk Airport. Drive Irkutsk to Lake Baikal, precisely to Khuzhir village on Olkhon Island. 292 km. Visit to the Shamans Rock.
Day 2 / Mon – Olkhon Island. Excursion to Khoboi Cape, the North of the Island to observe Lake Baikal. 80 km.
Day 3 / Tue – Olkhon Island. Excursion to the South of the Island. Drive back to Irkutsk. 292 km.
Day 4 / Wed – Irkutsk. City Tour.
Day 5 / Thu – Drive Irkutsk to Ulan Ude. 458 km. Stops on the southern shore of Lake Baikal.
Day 6 / Fri – Ulan Ude. City Tour and day trip to the traditional Russian village.
Day 7 / Sat – Drive Ulan Ude via Ivolginsky Datsan to Chita. 713 km (with distance to the Datsan).
Day 8 / Sun – Drive Chita to Erofei Pavlovich. 774 km.
Day 9 / Mon – Drive Erofei Pavlovich to Nerungri. 529 km. Stop for walking around in Tynda.
Day 10 / Tue – Drive Nerungri – Remains of Vasilievka GULAG camp – Aldan. 274 km.
Day 11 / Wed – Drive Aldan to Yakutsk. 541 km. Crossing the Lena River before Yakutsk on a transport ferry.
Day 12 / Thu – Yakutsk. City Tour.
Day 13 / Fri – River Cruise from Yakutsk River Port to Lena Pillars Nature Park (beginning).
Day 14 / Sat – Lena Pillars Nature Park. Cruise boat at Lena Pillars (continuation).
Day 15 / Sun – Arrival to Yakutsk River Port in the evening. River Cruise (end).
Day 16 / Mon – Drive Yakutsk to Khandyga the R504 Kolyma Highway (Stalin’s Road of Bones). 419 km.
Day 17 / Tue – Drive Khandyga to Ust Nera the R504 Kolyma Highway (Stalin’s Road of Bones). 556 km. Through Verkhoyansky Mountain Passes.
Day 18 / Wed – Drive Ust Nera to Susuman the R504 Kolyma Highway (Stalin’s Road of Bones). 390 km.
Day 19 / Thu – Driver Susuman – Ust Omchug – Magadan the R504 Kolyma Highway (Stalin’s Road of Bones). 590 km.
Day 20 / Fri – Magadan. City Tour.
Day 21 / Sat – Magadan. Boat excursion in the Okhotsk Sea.
Day 22 / Mon – Departure Day. Transfer from Magadan to Sokol Airport, 51 km. Flight out.
Itinerary might be customized at request. For instance:
- It might be shorter, if to fly directly from Irkutsk to Yakutsk instead of driving all the way.
- Driving between Irkutsk to Yakutsk might be also replaced by journey on train to Nerungri and the rest of the way to Yakutsk done by our transport.
- 3-day cruise from Yakutsk to Lena Pillars Nature Park might be replaced with day trip by a speed boat in the summer and day trip over the ice in the wintertime.
- You might fly from Yakutsk to Mirny, West Yakutia, for day city tour to see the huge “MIR” diamond mine pit.
Tour Cost for Recommended Itinerary
In a group of 4 travellers = 5 004 USD / 4 432 EUR per person.
Final cost depends on the corrected currency conversion rates. As of October 2nd, 2015:
1 USD = 62 RUB
1 EUR = 70 RUB
- 1 minivan 4WD and all transport-related expenses en route Irkutsk – Olkhon Island – Yakutsk – Magadan;
- 1 guide and all guide-related expenses en route Irkutsk – Olkhon Island – Yakutsk – Magadan;
- 2-day overland excursions across Olkhon Island;
- city tours in Irkutsk, Ulan Ude, Yakutsk, and Magadan;
- 3-day Lena River Cruise to Lena Pillars Nature Park (without a guide in the summer);
- transfers Irkutsk Airport to Olkhon Island and Magadan to Sokol Airport from Magadan;
- visa support, if requested.
Does NOT include:
- airfares to Irkutsk and from Magadan;
- accoommodation en route (better pay directly by a debit/credit card to escape double tax payment; the rate is 2500 – 5000 RUB/night per room);
- food (2000-5000 RUB/PAX/DAY in cities, 300-500 RUB/PAX/one meal at roadside cafes).
- Speed boat excursion with fishing in the Sea of Okhotsk (30 000 RUB per group) in summer-autumn
Via the contact form:
Exciting overland trip from Irkutsk to Magadan via Yakutsk. Lake Baikal, Lena Pillars on the Lena River and the Sea of Okhotsk. Enjoy beautiful landscapes in Russia’s Siberia & Far East!