Lake Baikal – Yakutsk – Magadan Tour
IRKUTSK – YAKUTSK – MAGADAN ROAD TRIP.
Lake Baikal – Lena Pillars on the Lena River – Okhotsk Sea.
Authentic Siberia & the Far East in Russia!
So, here we go. We gather a group of travellers, who have a strong desire to embark a fascinating road trip with us from Lake Baikal to Magadan via Yakutsk. A big journey in Russia’s Siberia!
Lake Baikal in Irkutsk Oblast:
Photo credits: Artem Petukhov & Ekaterina Ipatieva, Yakutsk-based Adventurers.
Lena Pillars on the Lena River in Yakutia:
Photo credit: Ajar Varlamov/Lena Pillars at YakutiaPhoto.com.
The Sea of Okhotsk in Magadan Oblast:
Photo credit: Ilya Kovyakin/LiveJournal.
Irkutsk – Yakutsk – Magadan Trip Route on Map
The above map doesn’t provide the exact distance of the factual trip.
Group size: 4 PAX. For a small or big group, feel free to order the customized tour.
Dates: flexible. Depends on travellers’ schedule.
At request, the tour might be done on any dates in June – August, September (Golden Autumn) – the early October (the first snowfalls on the Kolyma road), December – February (Cold Siberian Winter), and March (Ice on Lake Baikal) – the early April.
Distance to drive: ~ 6000 km one way through Russia’s Siberia & Far East.
Route: Irkutsk – Olkhon Island (2.5 days) – Irkutsk (1 full day) – Ulan Ude (1 full day) – Ivolginsky Datsan – Chita – Erofei Pavlovich – Tynda – Nerungri – Yakutsk (1 full day) – Lena Pillars Nature Park (1 day) – Yakutsk (1 day) – Khandyga – Ust Nera – Susuman – Magadan (2 full days).
- 09 Jul 2017 (Sun) – 29 Jul 2017 (Sat) – True Summer Trip.
- 06 Aug 2017 (Sun) – 26 Aug 2017 (Sat) – Summer to Autumn Trip.
- 03 Sept 2017 (Sun) – 23 Sept 2017 (Sat) – Golden Autumn Trip.
- Other dates upon request.
We do a big road trip upon request. Though here’re dates for those who wish to share expenses with travel mates.
Highlights. What to see?
– Irkutsk City Tour.
– 3-day trip to Olkhon Island (Lake Baikal).
– Ulan Ude City Tour.
– Ivolginsky Datsan in Buryatia.
– Amur–Yakutsk Mainline.
– Tynda, the heart of the Baikal–Amur Mainline (BAM).
– Vasilievka, remains of a GULAG camp.
– Yakutsk City Tour.
– Lena Pillars Nature Park on the Lena River.
– Road of Bones through Verkhoyansky Mountains.
– Ust Nera, the town of gold miners.
– Kadykchan, the lost city in Magadan Oblast.
– Susuman, the other ton of gold miners.
– Sinegorye & Kolyma River.
– Remains of Stalin’s GULAG administration buildings.
– Magadan and its surrounding bays.
– Ola, fishermen’s town.
– The Sea of Okhotsk.
2017 Summer-Autumn Itinerary (Recommended)
Day 1 – Arrival in Irkutsk Airport. Time for brunch in Irkutsk. Drive Irkutsk to Lake Baikal, precisely to Khuzhir village on Olkhon Island. 292 km. Visit to the Shamans Rock.
Day 2 – Olkhon Island. Excursion to Khoboi Cape, the North of the Island to observe Lake Baikal. 80 km.
Day 3 – Olkhon Island. Excursion to the South of the Island. Drive back to Irkutsk. 292 km.
Day 4 – Irkutsk. City Tour.
Day 5 – Drive Irkutsk to Ulan Ude. 458 km. Stops along the southern shore of Lake Baikal.
Day 6 – Ulan Ude. City Tour. Excursion to a traditional Russian village (optional).
Day 7 – Drive Ulan Ude via Ivolginsky Datsan to Chita. 713 km (incl. turn distance to the Datsan).
Day 8 – Drive Chita to Erofei Pavlovich. 774 km.
Day 9 – Drive Erofei Pavlovich to Nerungri. 529 km. Stop for walking around in Tynda on the way.
Day 10 – Visit to the coal mining. Drive Nerungri – remains of Vasilievka GULAG camp – Aldan. 274 km.
Day 11 – Drive Aldan to Yakutsk. 541 km. Visit the Glacier of Lake Buluus. Crossing the Lena River before Yakutsk on a transport ferry.
Day 12 – Yakutsk. City Tour.
Day 13 – Day trip Yakutsk to Lena Pillars Nature Park (partly by car, partly by a river boat).
Day 14 – Spare time in Yakutsk. Required, if a trip to Lena Pillars would be moved because of weather conditions on the previous day.
Day 15 – Drive Yakutsk to Khandyga the R504 Kolyma Highway (Stalin’s Road of Bones). 419 km.
Day 16 – Drive Khandyga to Ust Nera the R504 Kolyma Highway (Stalin’s Road of Bones). 556 km. Through Verkhoyansky Mountain Passes.
Day 17 – Drive Ust Nera to Susuman the R504 Kolyma Highway (Stalin’s Road of Bones). 390 km.
Day 18 – Drive Susuman – Dneprovsky GULAG – Magadan the R504 Kolyma Highway (Stalin’s Road of Bones). 590 km.
Day 19 – Magadan. Tour across the city and bays of the Sea of Okhotsk.
Day 20 – Magadan. Boat excursion in the Okhotsk Sea (optional).
Day 21 – Departure Day. Transfer from Magadan to Sokol Airport, 51 km. Flight to Moscow /other Russian city.
Itinerary might be customized upon request. For instance:
- It might be shorter, if to fly directly from Irkutsk to Yakutsk instead of driving all the way.
- Driving between Irkutsk to Yakutsk might be also replaced by journey on train to Nerungri and the rest of the way to Yakutsk done by our transport.
- 3-day cruise from Yakutsk to Lena Pillars Nature Park might be replaced with day trip by a speed boat in the summer and day trip over the ice in the wintertime.
- You might fly from Yakutsk to Mirny, West Yakutia, for day city tour to see the huge “MIR” diamond mine pit.
Tour Cost for Recommended Itinerary
Rates for June – September 2017
For a group of 4 travellers = 290 000 RUB per person.
For a group of 3 travellers = 380 000 RUB per person.
For a group of 2 travellers = 560 000 RUB per person.
Private road trip = upon request.
- 1 4WD transport and all transport-related expenses en route Irkutsk – Olkhon Island – Yakutsk – Magadan;
- 1 guide and all guide-related expenses en route Irkutsk – Olkhon Island – Yakutsk – Magadan;
- 2.5-day excursion across Olkhon Island;
- city tours in Irkutsk, Ulan Ude, Yakutsk, and Magadan;
- day trip to Lena Lena Pillars Nature Park;
- transfer Irkutsk Airport to Olkhon Island;
- transfer Magadan to Sokol Airport from Magadan;
- visa invitation.
Does NOT include:
- air fares to Irkutsk and from Magadan;
- accoommodation en route (2500 – 7000 RUB/night per room);
- food (2000-5000 RUB/PAX/DAY in cities, 300-500 RUB/PAX/one meal at roadside cafes).
- Speed boat excursion with fishing in the Sea of Okhotsk (33 600 RUB per group) in summer-autumn
ORDER LAKE BAIKAL TO MAGADAN ROAD TRIP
We tend to reply immediately or in the course of a day. If we don’t get back to you as quick as you wish, please, don’t worry. We could be busy with urgent requests or current travellers. Don’t hesitate to remind us.
Exciting overland trip from Irkutsk to Magadan via Yakutsk. Lake Baikal, Lena Pillars on the Lena River and the Sea of Okhotsk. Enjoy beautiful landscapes in Russia’s Siberia & Far East!