Reindeer Herders. Deep Into the Taiga!
REINDEER HERDERS IN YAKUTIA, RUSSIA
A river journey to reindeer herders’ summer camp deep into the Siberian taiga!
Tour type: ecological, ethnographic.
Period: July-August 2014.
Group size: 1 traveller and more.
Tour duration: 6 days.
Route: Yakutsk – Olekminsk – Kudu Kyuel village – the “Sanya” reindeer herders summer camp – the way back.
Area: Olekminsky District, Sakha Republic (Yakutia), North-Eastern Siberia, Russia.
Rivers to sail: Lena River, Olekma River.
– Yakutsk to/from Olekminsk along the Lena River by the “Meteor” passenger hydrofoil boat.
– Olekminsk to/from the “Sanya” reindeer herders summer camp by a regular motor boat.
- Gorgeous Lena River with famous Lena Pillars Nature Park (passing by).
- Siberian taiga & habitable remote wilderness.
- Authentic way of Siberian life.
- Special people with rich cultural & historical background.
- Camping & reindeer people.
Olekminsk and the Olekma River on the map
Photo credit: Alexander Dyakonov.
Alexander is historian. I will be him to guide groups to reindeer herders deep into the Siberian taiga in July 2014.
Day 1. Yakutsk – Olekminsk. Distance to travel – 620 km.
Journey along the Lena River on the “Meteor” passenger hydrofoil boat. Departure early morning. Arrival in the late evening. Overnight in Olekminsk.
On the way to Olekminsk, we’ll see the famous stone forest of Lena Pillar Nature Park and just fascinating river-forest landscapes.
Day 2. Olekminsk – Kudu Kyuel village. Distance to travel – 170 km.
Sailing on a regular motor boat. Kudu Kyuel village is located on a bank of the Olekma River. Overnight in a private house.
This day is remarkable by a chance to see a true country life in the remotest wilderness. Peaceful and authentic.
Day 3-4: Kudu Kyuel – reindeer herders summer camp. Distance to travel to the camp – 20 km.
This day we’ll go deeper into the Siberian taiga and travel across the territory belonged to the Evenk community of reindeer herders called “Sanya.”
Herders will show their reindeer, the camp, hunting & fishing area. We’ll have an unique chance to try our best in hunting and fishing as well.
Overnights in tents.
Day 5: The way back to Olekminsk. Overnight in Olekminsk.
Day 6: Olekminsk – Yakutsk. Return to Yakutsk in the evening.
We prefer to customize the tour and its price.
Duration might be 6, 8 or 10 days.
- Travel Yakutsk – Olekminsk by the hydrofoil boat = 7000 RUB/person (one way).
- Travel Olekminsk – Kudu Kyuel by a motor boat = 15000 RUB/boat/group (one way).
- 2-day excursion across the “Sanya” reindeer herders camp by a motor boat = 5000 RUB/boat/group.
- Food = 1000 RUB/day/person.
- Guide service = 5000 RUB/day (Russian speaker) or 6000 RUB/day (English, German or French speaker).
- Visa support (if required) = 1500 RUB/person.
- Travel arrangement expenses & fee = 20% of the basic cost
- VAT = 10%.
Note: 1 boat is good for 3 travellers. If many bags, the 2nd boat is to be hired.
Booking & payment conditions
Once the tour itinerary and its price are confirmed by travellers, we send the invoice at the agreed amount.
– Tour is done at request from a group of travellers or individual.
– Booking is considered to be done, when the full payment is done.
– Payment is accepted by bank transfer.