Reindeer Sleigh Ride in Oymyakon, Russia
YAKUTSK – OYMYAKON – REINDEER SLEIGH
EXPEDITION THROUGH SIBERIAN WILDERNESS
Embark the world-class exclusive reindeer sleigh ride through the wilderness of Oymyakon area, the coldest place in Russia’s Siberia. Winter adventure tour for active people!
Route: Yakutsk – Khandyga – Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp in Oymyakon Valley – reindeer sledding – back to the Winter Camp – Khandyga – Yakutsk.
Duration: 10 days / 9 nights.
Group size: 1-3 travellers.
Travel period: December, February, March. January is not included, as it is the time when reindeer are scattered across mountains in wilderness. December and February are the coldest months. March is soft, from -25C in the daytime to -45C or less at night.
Reindeer Safari / Sleigh Ride Dates:
- At request only.
Usually, we don’t gather groups for certain dates. If anyone is wishing to find travel mates, we publish their wished dates on this page.
Video: Reindeer Sleigh Ride in Oymyakon, Russia’s Siberia
One more video…
Video credit: Yuri Berezhnov.
Winter Travel Photos: Reindeer Sleigh Ride in Oymyakon, Russia’s Siberia
Photo credit: Bolot Bochkarev/VisitYakutia.com.
Winter Photographs with Travellers
Photo credit: Lyubomira Romanova/VisitYakutia.com.
Oymyakon Reindeer Sleigh Ride Tour Info
Day 1: Arrival at Yakutsk Airport in the morning. Transfer to hotel. Free time. Meeting a guide at 12:00. 1/2 day with a guide on the hired transport in the city.
Day 2: Drive from Yakutsk to Khandyga. Departure from hotel at 09:00. 453 km for ~9 hr. Overnight in the appartment-based private hotel in Khandyga.
Day 3: Drive from Khandyga to Oymyakon. Through Verkhoyansk Mountain Passes. 520 km for 10-12 hrs. Late dinner. Overnight at family’s in a wooden house in Oymyakon.
Day 4: Oymyakon (1/2 day) & transfer to herder’s place. Breakfast at family’s. Visit to the Pole of Cold Stella. Walk around Oymyakon village. Lunch at family’s. Drive from Oymyakon to the reindeer herders’ camp. 280 km for ~6 hr. On the way 1-hr stop in Tomtor to visit the ice cave with huge crystals and ice sculptures (entry ticket at amount of 500 RUB/person is not included. Arrival to the reindeer’s winter base in the evening. Dinner (included). Overnight in a stove-heated wooden cabin at the herder’s place.
Day 5: Herder’s Winter Camp. Preparation for the long reindeer sleigh ride. Observing herder’s work on preparing sled reindeer and sleds. Breakfast, lunch, dinner are included.
Day 6: Sleigh Ride. Breakfast. Preparing for the start of reindeer sleigh ride. Packing stuff on sleds and tying reindeer to sleds. Lunch. Reindeer sleigh ride (a traveler sit on a separate sled with 2 reindeer in the caravan). Distance to ride is ~30 km. Stop at the temperary overnight spot. Setting up tents. Dinner in a tent. Overnight in a tent.
Day 7: Sleigh Ride. Breakfast in a tent. Preparing reindeer and sleds for the ride. Lunch. Reindeer sleigh ride on the way back to herders’ place on the different route. 50 km. Arrival to the camp in the evening. Dinner. Overnight in a stove-heated wooden house at the herders’ camp.
Day 8: Drive from the winter base to Khandyga. Breakfast. Packing belonging for the way back. Brunch. Transfer by a car from the herders’ place to Khandyga. 350 km for ~9 hr.
Day 9: Drive from Khandyga to Yakutsk. Arrival in Yakutsk by the evening.
Day 10: Transfer to Yakutsk Airport. Flight from Yakutsk.
Feel free to request a customized itinerary or special quote. Final cost depends on the quantity of days and services.
Standard Tour Price for Winter 2016-2017:
For a group of 3 travelers = 147 000 RUB* / 2 492 USD** / 2 333 EUR** per person.
For a group of 2 travelers = 210 000 RUB* / 3 559 USD** / 3 333 EUR** per person.
Individual = 394 000 RUB* / 6 678 USD** / 6 500 EUR**.
*Payment should be equal to the amount indicated in Russian Rubles.
**Fixed currency conversion rate as of December 12th, 2016: 1 USD = 59 RUB, 1 EUR = 63 RUB.
– visa support;
– transfer from Yakutsk Airport to hotel on the Day of Arrival and transfer from hotel to airport on the Day of Departure;
– English-, German-, French- or Spanish-speaking guide for the whole period;
– 6-hour transport hire for shopping additional warm clothes and sightseeing (including visits to Mammoth Museum and The Kingdom of Permafrost Ice Cave Complex);
– 4WD transport with a driver for 8-day trip en route Yakutsk – Khandyga – Oymyakon – Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp in the wilderness of the Oymyakon valley – Khandyga – Yakutsk;
– accommodation in a private hotel in Khandyga (twin room w/ shared facilities);
– accommodation in a private hotel in Oymyakon (twin room w/ shared facilities) with dinner, breakfast, lunch;
– accommodation at reindeer herders’ camp in a wooden cabin (breakfast, lunch, dinner);
– reindeer herders’ work on 1-day gathering reindeer scattered in the wilderness, 2-day reindeer sleigh ride through wilderness, 1-day service at the camp;
– food and drinks during 2-day reindeer sledding;
– tents, stove, generator, and reindeer skin (serves as floor cover in tents) rent;
– sleeping bags;
– sattelite phone for emergency calls;
Does NOT include:
– air tickets to/from Yakutsk;
– accommodation and food in Yakutsk;
– meals at roadside cafes during driving days en route Yakutsk – Khandyga – Winter Camp and Winter Camp – Khandyga – Yakutsk for 4 days (reserve 1000-1500 RUB/day/person);
– extra warm clothes;
– personal travel insurance policy;
– tips & gratitude.
Booking and payment conditions
– Tour is booked, when the deposit amounting to 20 213 RUB per person is pre-paid.
– Left amount is due 30 days prior to the start of the tour.
– Payment in Russian Rubles might be done by PayPal.
– Payment in USD/EUR is to be done by bank transfer, and the amount should be equal to the one indicated in Russian rubles.
– 10-percent discount is granted for the early booking.
Oymyakon winter reindeer sled trip is recommended for people, who is older than 18 y.o. and who has no health issues.
Such trip might be too tough for people, who are over 65 y.o.
Recommendation on clothes might be given while corresponding.
BOOK OYMYAKON REINDEER SLEIGH RIDE
By seding a message directly at or via the contact form, or you might use the both ways to contact us.
You might also give us a call:
You might call it differently. Reindeer safari. Reindeer sleigh ride. Reindeer Sledding. But it’s always a true winter adventure with reindeer people in Siberia, Russia!