Travel to Oymyakon, Russia
YAKUTSK – OYMYAKON. WINTER 2017.
Travel to the World’s Coldest Inhabited Place.
Standard tour for Russian holidays in Siberia!
In winter 2016-2017, we continue to arrange all-inclusive and customized tours to Oymyakon, Russia’s Siberia. It’s the world’s coldest inhabited place located in the Eastern part of the Sakha Republic (Yakutia). Experience Russian holidays in soft adventure tour through the cold Siberian weather. Travel with us!
Adventure tours to Oymyakon, Russia’s Siberia, will be done from December 2016 till March 2017. The coldest period is the midst and end of December, the early January, and the first half of February.
Period: December to March.
Route: Yakutsk – Khandyga – Oymyakon – Khandyga – Yakutsk.
Round travel distance: ~2000 km with all short rides within settlements.
Tour type: soft adventure, road trip.
The tour starts and ends in Yakutsk, capital of Repiblic of Sakha-Yakutia.
OYMYAKON WEATHER VIDEO
Measuring temperature in Oymyakon, Yakutia, Russia’s Siberia.
This video was taken by German photographer Björn Steinz in Oymyakon in January 2010. In the video: Bolot Bochkarev, Ajar Varlamov and their Yakutsk-based friends.
OYMYAKON TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHS
Photographs taken in February
The above photographs were taken by Ajar Varlamov in February.
Photographs taken in March
The above photographs were taken by Bolot Bochkarev in the middle of March.
Vehicles We Use in Winter 2016-2017
OYMYAKON TOUR MAP
Oymyakon Oymyakon-related Trip Options
GROUP TRIPS FOR WINTER 2017-2018:
- 03 Jan 2018 – 10 Jan 2018 – Day in Yakutsk + 1-Day Lena Pillars Trip + 5-Day Oymyakon Tour. Itinerary & rates for the early booking.
- 22 Jan 2018 – 29 Jan 2018 – Day in Yakutsk + 1-Day Lena Pillars Trip + 5-Day Oymyakon Tour. Itinerary & rates for the early booking.
- 17 Feb 2018 – 24 Feb 2018 – Day in Yakutsk + 1-Day Lena Pillars Trip + 5-Day Oymyakon Tour. Itinerary & rates for the early booking.
GROUP TRIPS DONE IN WINTER 2016-2017:
- 31 December 2016 – 09 January 2017 – New Year in Yakutsk + Day Trip to Lena Pillars + 5-Day Oymyakon Tour + Orthodox Christmas & 1/2-Day Dog & Snowmobile Safari in Yakutsk. Check out the itinerary with rates. DONE
- 03 – 07 January 2017 – 5-Day Oymyakon Trip. It’s a part of the above mentioned big program on Dec 31 – Jan 09. 9 travelers. If you’re unable to come to Yakutsk for New Year Celebration, you might wish to join the Oymyakon trip only. DONE.
- 25 January – 01 February 2017 – Day in Yakutsk + 1-Day Lena Pillars Trip + 5-Day Oymyakon Tour. Group is full, though an additional vehicle for 3 pax is ready to go. Check out the itinerary with rates.
- 28 January – 05 February 2017 – Day in Yakutsk + 1-Day GULAG trip + 5-Day Oymyakon Road Trip. An additional vehicle for 3 pax is ready to go. Check out the itinerary with rates.
- 20 – 25 February 2017 – 6-Day Yakutsk – GULAGs – Oymyakon Tour. In a group of Russian-speaking international travelers, without interpretor. Practice your Russian language! Enjoy Siberia! Check out the itinerary with rates. One vehicle is full. 3 available spaces in the second vehicle.
- 06 – 10 March 2017 – 5-Day Oymyakon Tour. In a group of Russian-speaking travelers, i.e. without interpretor. Practice your Russian language. Check out the itinerary with rates. Extra day for visit to Stalin’s GULAG camps is possible at request.
- 18 – 27 March 2017 – Big Kolyma Road Winter Overland Expedition from Yakutsk to Magadan via Oymyakon. With all activities included. A couple seats available. Check out the itinerary with rates.
- 22 – 29 March 2017 – Pole of Cold Festival in Oymyakon. Check out the itinerary with rates.
- Other dates at request only.
If you’re searching travel mates for your specific dates, please, let us know in advance so we could attract others to join in your trip.
5-DAY OYMYAKON TOUR ON DEMAND:
- Yakutsk City Tour + Day Trip to Lena Pillars Nature Park + 5-Day Oymyakon Tour. Classic combination at request. Check out the itinerary with rates.
- 5-Day Oymyakon Trip only. At request. Check out the itinerary with rates.
6-DAY SELF-DRIVE TO OYMYAKON ON DEMAND:
- Training Day in Yakutsk + 5-Day Self-Driving from Yakutsk to Oymyakon, the world’s coldest inhabited place, on Toyota Land Cruiser. With transfers from/to airport. Check out the itinerary with rates.
- Any dates self-drive from Yakutsk to Magadan via Oymyakon on Toyota Land Cruiser. Test your driving skills all the way on the toughest Kolyma road in winter conditions. Learn more on Magadan trip description page.
Please, note that entertainment activities are not included in the self-drive tour cost.
7-DAY OYMYAKON STANDARD TOUR ON DEMAND
Recommended period: December 2016 – March 2017.
Route: Yakutsk – Khandyga – Oymyakon – Khandyga – Yakutsk.
Duration: 7 full days (8 days / 7nights).
Dates: any dates at request.
Standard Tour Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Yakutsk. Rendezvous at the airport. Transfer to hotel. 5 hours on the hired transport to do a short city tour and shopping additional warm clothes & travel accessaries.
Day 2: Yakutsk – Khandyga.
Drive distance: 432 km (according to our GPS track), 10 hours w/ meal & photo stops.
Overnight in the private “Angara” apartment-based hotel in Khandyga.
Meal time: Breakfast in hotel in Yakutsk. Lunch and dinner at road cafes en route.
We start our journey from hotel at 09:00 am. If any travel mate is coming this morning, we’ll wait for him/her, certainly, and go.
This day’s activity:
– Crossing the Lena River on the ice road. Stop for the group photo.
– Stop on the opposite bank of the Lena River to overlook the river landscape with Yakutsk in background.
– See many traditional Sakha villages. Stops for photo shoots.
– Stop on the bank of the Aldan River.
– Crossing the Aldan River.
Day 3: Khandyga – Kyubyume – Oymyakon.
Distance ~514 km (according to our GPS track), ~12 hours w/ meal stops and photo shoots.
Accommodation at family’s in Oymyakon.
Meal time: Breakfast in the “Angara” appartment in Khandyga. Early lunch at a road cafe 100 km off Khandyga. Dinner at a road cafe in Kyubyume. Late dinner in Oymyakon.
We start journey at 08:00 am and arrive to Oymyakon late night.
We’ll do stops:
– Before approaching Verkhoyansk Mountains for lunch and photo shoot.
– At the memorial with the big Cross on the rock dedicated to the victims of the Gulag system.
– Chernyj Prizhim (literally it means the Black Narrow Pass with the highest bridge on the ridge).
– Kyubyume Fuel Station with the “Cuba” road cafe and the tube where all adventurers attach their own expedition sticks.
– Tomtor village for re-fuel at a gas station.
Actually we can do many stops.
Day 4: Oymyakon.
Accommodation at family’s in Oymyakon.
Meal time: Breakfast, lunch, dinner at family’s.
– Visit to the “The Pole of Cold” stella with meeting Chyskhaan, Keeper of the Cold, and receiving the Pole of Cold Certificate from his hands.
– Visit to school and its heating station.
– Experiments with the cold in the family’s backyard.
– Ice fishing on the Indigirka River. You’ll see the traditional net fishing method and try to catch a fish with a rod yourself.
– the Sakha culture Evening in the House of Archy.
Day 5: Oymyakon – Tomtor – Oymyakon.
Drive distance ~40 km one-way.
Accommodation at family’s in Oymyakon.
Meal time: Breakfast and dinner at family’s. Lunch from meal boxes prepared by our host.
This day we travel to the town of Tomtor. During the day trip we visit:
– the farm of Yakutian cows, original Siberian breed (small and steady, and accustomed to live outdoor in the extremely cold conditions);
– the farm of Yakutian horses, also unique Siberian breed;
– the ice tunnel (former food storage) with giant ice crystals on walls and ceiling;
– go on the top of the highest hill in Tomtor to see the amazing winter mountain landscape;
We’ll also walk around Tomtor, Tomtor used to be the administrative center of the whole Oymyakonsky District. Actually, it is the very place where the lowest temperature was registered.
Day 6: Oymyakon – Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp – Khandyga.
Drive distance: ~514 km (according to our GPS track).
Overnight in the “Angara” private hotel in Khandyga.
Meal time: Breakfast at family’s in Oymyakon. Lunch at Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp. Dinner in Kyubyume Road Cafe. Late Dinner after the mountain range, 100 km before Khandyga.
VISIT TO REINDEER HERDERS’ WINTER CAMP IS OPTIONAL. NOT INCLUDED IN THE BUDGET OF THE TRIP.
According to the GPS tracks:
– Oymyakon (guest house) to Tomtor (gas station) – 41.2 km at speed of 40 km/h.
– Tomtor (gas station) to Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp – 131 km at speed of 50-60 km/h
– Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp to Kyubyume (gas station & road café) – 22 km at speed of 60 km/h.
– Kyubyume (road café) to Khandyga (private hotel) – 319 km at speed of 60 km/h.
This day’s most exciting part is your visit to the winter camp of reindeer herders, where we’ll try the authentic nomadic food, of course, with reindeer meat and do the 1-hr reindeer sledding. You will also need to help herders to prepare sleds… just a little bit.
Arrival in Khandyga late night.
Day 7: Khandyga – Yakutsk.
Quick drive to Yakutsk. Stops for lunch and dinner at road cafes en route. Arrival to Yakutsk by the evening.
In the evening, all participants are welcome to the farewell dinner in the restaurant of the “Chochur Muran” ethnographic complex.
Departure Day Transfer to Yakutsk Airport.
Though, it’s always good to spend an extra day in Yakutsk for shopping souvenirs and gifts.
Oymyakon Standard Tour Price for Winter 2017
For a group of 4 travellers = 100 000 RUB* / 1613 USD** / 1429 EUR** per person.
For a group of 3 travellers = 127 000 RUB* / 2048 USD** / 1814 EUR** per person.
For a group of 2 travellers = 178 000 RUB* / 2871 USD** / 2543 EUR** per person.
Individual = 333 000 RUB* / 5371 USD** / 4757 EUR** per person
*Payment should be equal to the amount indicated in Russian Rubles.
**Fixed currency rate as of September 2016: 1 USD = 62 RUB; 1 EUR = 70 RUB.
– 10-percent discount for the early booking or full prepayment;
– Oymyakon Standard Tour is done at request on any dates only;
– For groups to join, please, check dates listed above.
– visa support, if requested.
– transfers from airport to hotel on Day 1 and from hotel to airport in Yakutsk on Day 8;
– transport hire for city tour and shopping additional warm clothes on Day 1;
– English/German/French/Spanish-speaking guide;
– transport and all transport-related expenses for the road trip Yakutsk – Oymyakon – Yakutsk;
– accommodation in private hotels in Khandyga (twin rooms with shared facilities);
– accommodation at family’s in a regular village wooden house in Oymyakon (B, L, D);
– entertainment activities in Oymyakon, precisely the Keeper of the Cold Chyskhaan’s welcome and photo session, visits to Yakutian cows & Yakutian horses’ farms, traditional ice-fishing on the Indigirka River, Sakha Culture Evening;
– entertainment activities in Tomtor, i.e. visits to History Museum (with the Gulag section), Ice Tunnel.
– satellite phone connection with the Russian Emergency Service.
At additional cost, if requested:
– Visit to the reindeer herders’ winter camp + 10-km reindeer sleigh ride in the wilderness (from 125 USD up to 500 USD per person).
Does NOT include:
– air tickets to/from Yakutsk;
– accommodation in Yakutsk (from ~50 USD/room/day up to 100 USD/room/day);
– food in Yakutsk;
– entry tickets to the places of visits during the city tour on Day 1;
– meals at roadside cafes en route Yakutsk – Oymyakon;
– personal warm clothes and items;
– personal travel insurance;
– tips and gratuities.
Booking and payment conditions:
– tour is booked, when the deposit amounting to 12471 RUB is pre-paid for the early booking;
– the left amount payment is to be paid 45 or more days before the start of the tour;
– payment might be done in Russian rubles by PayPal (we cover PayPal’s fees, if booking is done in advance);
– payment in USD/EUR should be done by bank transfer (your bank might surcharge up to 25 USD/20 EUR for international transaction);
– 10-percent discount is granted for the early booking;
– 10-percent discount is granted for the full prepayment.
Request the other options if:
- a group is bigger;
- you need to customize a tour itinerary according to your dream plan;
- you wish to order a transport, accommodation and guide service only;
- you wish to customize entertainment activities;
- you want to add a visit to reindeer herder’s winter camp to do a reindeer safari;
- you wish to self-drive our vehicles.
Let us know what you wish. We’re very flexible and can create any itinerary possible for you. Please, note that we design the customized itinerary from scratch and it might take time.
- Take along warm Arctic-type outfits from brands such as The North Face, Canada Goose and similiar. While in Yakutsk, travellers will have time to do shopping, i.e. buying warm boots (valenki or fur boots), gloves/mitten, hats. Parkas and warm pants from the mentioned brands are very expensive in Yakutsk. For warm underwear, consider Termo (Sweden).
- Bring your own travel and medical insurance from the company that has the Russian partner.
Oymyakon trip is also booked with:
- Yakutsk City Tour (5 hours)
- Lena Pillars Nature Park winter tour (1 day)
- Dog Sledding (1/2/7 days)
- Ice Fishing on the Lena River (half day)
BOOK YOUR TRIP TO THE COLDEST INHABITED PLACE NOW!
If you’re not sure, whether your message made it through, please, feel free to use our email address
DISCLAIMER: The top photo “Pole of Cold Monument” and March photographs by Bolot Bochkarev. Travel photographs by Ajar Varlamov. In the video: Bolot Bochkarev. Video credit: Björn Steinz/www.oka2.com.
PLAN YOUR TRAVEL TO OYMYAKON! Let’s experience the best Russian winter holidays in Siberia. Short URL for this page – http://bit.ly/oymyakon